Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Will You Forgive Me?

I have two reasons why I don't typically write about all of my imperfections:  1.  Who really wants to focus on all of the bad decisions that they have made.   
And
2.  I am really writing this blog to my kids and trust me, they already know that I am far from perfect.


So this post is for all those who may have gotten the wrong idea about me.  I guess I should put a warning label on this post:


WARNING: If you think I am perfect and feel the need to continue that belief....then you should stop reading now!


I am not the kind of person that tries to pretend that I have all the answers,  no one would buy it anyway.  Like most people, I have gone through some pretty difficult things in my life.  It was through these struggles that I developed perseverance (check out James 1:4).  I decided to take what was ugly and unfortunate in my life and make it beautiful and purposeful.  I truly believe that God doesn't create the difficult things in our lives but He will use them for good... if we are willing to let Him.


It is so important for my kids to see me make mistakes and even more important for them to see me make amends.   When I wrongly accuse a child or loose my temper (yes, it happens more frequently than I would care to admit) I ask my children, "Will you forgive me?"   They know that Mama makes mistakes and needs forgiveness just like everyone else.


We try to teach our children:


~To say, "I forgive you." when someone tells them that they are sorry.  If we can't forgive each other than how do we expect God to forgive us?  


~There will always be people that discourage or hurt them, there will always be times of hardship, and there will be times when they make mistakes and need to seek forgiveness.  


~Every new day brings new opportunities to develop more perseverance!


~It is the perseverance that we develop...  that molds us into the people we were created to be.


Our kids see my husband and I  have occasional disagreements.  They realize that mommy and daddy don't always have the same opinions on issues and sometimes need to forgive each other for not listening to the other person.  It is crucial for our kids to witness us apologize to each other and work out our disputes.  And even on occasion I have to say (get ready for this one honey it is probably a long time coming) I was wrong... boy that tasted like vinegar ( I have a tendency to be a little more stubborn than my husband)!




So be warned, The Bramlee Family is far from perfect..........






........ but what keeps us going is knowing someone that is!




2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
your photo name

4 comments:

  1. I read once that it is more important for your children to witness disputes and see the resolution rather than hide the disagreements from them. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is lovely and so is your blog! Beautiful, true statement about letting them discover the world (I say this after just having thrown away a full garbage bag o' junk from the playroom that no one will even notice is gone. I hope.) and not buying it for them. SO TRUE. Amazing how THINGS can pile up when as homeschoolers we want knowledge, character, thinking, learning, etc. to be what abounds. Way to keep perspective!
    And now I've got "bullfrogs and butterflies" stuck in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I love you so much and I am so thankful that God put you in my life. You help me to see obedience in action through your life and dedication to your creator and your family. You have overcome so much in your life... you are an amazing example to all mothers and wives!!! Thank you for sharing your wisdom and love with me.

    ReplyDelete

If you really want to make me smile then leave me a message, I would love to hear your thoughts....