Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Badge for A Stethoscope

When you take a family of five (which has recently increased to six) and elect to leave behind all reasonable sources of income and walk down a path of uncertainty, I think it safe to say that you have made a leap of faith!  And now that is exactly what we live by...... Faith!

I have married an extremely humble man, it's one of many characters that attracted me to him.   However, it is that same trait that almost cost me the opportunity to witness what would turn out to be one of my greatest blessings.  When my husband was leaving his career as a Charleston Police Officer after fourteen years, they had a retirement lunch for him.  He told me that there was no need for me to come because it was just going to be a few people, nothing really special.  I couldn't shake the feeling that I needed to be there and one day while intercepting a call from one of his coworkers, that feeling was confirmed.  I never told him that I was planning on attending...he can't stand to be fussed over and REALLY (to put it mildly) dreads the idea of being the center of attention.  I had asked his dad to come with me and later wished that we would had made arrangements for his mother to come as well.  Still we were envisioning only a few people and "nothing really special"!

When we walked into the restaurant I found myself in a room filled with about 50 people!  My husband, smiling sheepishly, greeted me with a hug and whispered in my ear, "I am so glad that you are here."  I knew that he was struggling with being the star of this party but he was also humbled by the many people that came to see him off.  As I sat and listened to these men and women talk about their memories of my husband and the way that he impacted their lives, my heart swelled with pride.  I loved hearing these stories about the person that I think so highly of and I couldn't help but be moved to tears.

I am so blessed to have a husband that would leave everything that he had worked so hard for, so that he could follow the path that God chose for him.  This was no easy decision for him, he had built a life and a career.  However, we knew that whatever the Lord had chosen for us would be better than anything that
we could ever desire for ourselves.



Where a badge use to hang, now hangs a stethoscope.  Both were created to help people and both have been worn by a man
 that desperately wants to follow a God that is so much bigger than we could ever imagine!



I am so proud of you honey!



2 years, 8 months, & 27 days into our "new" journey..... so far!



your photo name

4 comments:

  1. ummm does he know you are writing about him are your blog lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. No....shhhhhhh! You know him, he would be so embarrassed! I can't help it, his kids need to know just how great their daddy really is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all are such a wonderful family. I miss you guys and miss working with Todd. For my own selfish reasons, I hated to see him leave. Todd was the best partner on the police force that I have had in my 16 years. I wish you the best and glad that you all as a family are following GODS plans for your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chad we feel the same about your family. I really miss Todd being able to have you around all the time, I know he misses it too. We are so thankful for you and Wendy and the friendship we share with you all. We look forward to seeing you all soon!

    ReplyDelete

If you really want to make me smile then leave me a message, I would love to hear your thoughts....